Cheri Beasley has cemented the North Carolina Senate race as one of the most competitive battlegrounds on the map with a winning message, a robust fundraising operation that beat Congressman Ted Budd by a whopping three-to-one margin in Q2, and a savvy campaign that knows how to win in tough election cycles.
Cheri Has Cemented #NCSEN Among Most Competitive Battlegrounds on Map
A former judge who spent over two decades upholding the Constitution and working with law enforcement to hold violent offenders accountable, Cheri will hold Washington accountable too. She’s unafraid to take on both parties to do what’s right for North Carolina, including bringing down costs and capping the price of prescription drugs like insulin. Cheri will lead with common sense and independence to stand up for the people of the state.
In the weeks since the May primary, public polling, fundraising data and outside spending all confirm that Cheri is a candidate who can win North Carolina – and Republicans know it, too:
- Public Polling Shows Dead Heat: Polling has consistently shown this race tied and Cheri has “fared best” with key groups including “women, moderates, urban residents… voters who consider themselves ideologically moderate.” She has also “received a plurality of support among all age groups.”
- Over $6 Million in Outside GOP Spending: Washington Republicans know this race is competitive and have already spent over $6 million attacking Cheri – more than they’ve spent against any other challenger – with Mitch McConnell’s PAC $27 million reserved in ad buys for the fall. The NRSC was caught lying about Cheri’s record – a tactic we continue to see – resulting in TV stations pulling down their attack for being “false.”
- Record-Breaking Fundraising: Cheri raised $7.42 million – breaking records for the most raised by a North Carolina Senate candidate in Q2 – more than triple what Budd reported. To date this cycle, Cheri has raised more than $16 million and has contributions from all 100 counties with more than 90% of contributions $100 or less.
- Engaging Voters Statewide: Cheri has traveled statewide to hear from voters – from Bryson City to the Outer Banks. Last week, Cheri launched her “Standing Up for North Carolina ” Tour about how she’ll fight for North Carolinians in the U.S. Senate. The campaign is also communicating on television across North Carolina, including with Cheri’s recent ad on her support for capping the price of insulin – and holding Congressman Budd accountable for refusing to do so. North Carolina’s coordinated campaign continues to focus on reaching voters directly across the state.
- A Coalition to Win in Tough Cycles: Cheri can excite and mobilize voters with her historic candidacy, and has shown she can win in tough political environments. She has won statewide twice, even in tough political environments like 2014, and in 2020 she outperformed most top-of-the-ticket Democrats on the ballot, including in rural communities.
Congressman Budd’s Record Under Scrutiny, Running Lackluster Campaign
Congressman Ted Budd is a deeply-flawed politician and even members of his own party have called him a “weak” candidate because they know his record as a corrupt Washington insider who rewrites the rules to help himself and the special interests that fund his campaign.
- Congressman Budd’s disgraceful record is under scrutiny – revealing a corrupt politician accepting luxury trips paid for by special interests and siding with corporations over North Carolina:
- Budd’s record is facing scrutiny for voting against legislation to lower drug costs and just days later being rewarded by Big Pharma with thousands of dollars in campaign contributions. In 2021, he also voted against a bipartisan measure to lower insulin costs.
- As North Carolinians struggle with high gas prices, Congressman Budd received a maximum contribution from oil companies and voted one day later against lowering prices.
- New reporting shows that Budd “took advantage of his position” in Congress to take tens of thousands of dollars in luxury trips to “ultra-plush” resorts and fancy hotels, paid for by special interest groups.
- The Washington Post and other outlets reported on his role in “his family’s calamitous involvement” in a bankruptcy case that cost farmers millions of dollars in losses.
- Budd’s record in Congress shows someone far outside the mainstream for North Carolina – and even for his own party.
- Despite North Carolinians overwhelmingly supporting protections for Roe v. Wade, Budd supports an abortion ban “at the point of conception” – even in the circumstances of rape, incest, or threat to a woman’s health.
- North Carolina is a top military state – but Budd voted against legislation to provide pay raises to service members and a bipartisan bill that would get health care to veterans exposed to toxic chemicals.
- Budd “agreed with the major points” of Washington Republicans’ plan that would raise taxes on 40 percent of North Carolinians.
BOTTOM LINE: Cheri Beasley has made this race a top pick-up opportunity as a uniquely qualified candidate who will stand up to corporations and both parties, which is why she is earning unmatched support and this race is in a dead heat. Congressman Ted Budd is running a lackluster campaign and is struggling to earn support as a deeply-flawed candidate with a record of rewriting the rules to help himself and special interests at the expense of North Carolinians.